As a local church body, Bethany Christian Church was organized September 25, 1898 by W.M. Harkins, Pastor of Central Christian Church, Anderson. The original building was erected in 1871 on the former Forkner farm by a Methodist congregation known as Asbury Chapel. The building was purchased by the Christian congregation September 25, 1898.
The congregation met for sixty-five years in the frame building next to Killbuck Park on North Rangeline Road. The building underwent several remodelings. With the numerical growth through the years, it was decided to relocate on five acres of ground given to the church by Mrs. Madge Johns and her daughter, Cecil Johns, at the corner of Rangeline Road and Cross Street.
In December of 1963, the congregation moved to their new building. On September 20, 1970 the educational building was added. In September of 1980, the activities building which housed the gymnasium, kitchen, Friendship Room, commons area and nursery was dedicated. The present Worship Center was opened in August of 2001.
Though the buildings in which we meet have changed and grown over the years, our commitment to love God, love others and serve the world remains the same.